Wait until you try these easy to make slow cooker beef short ribs! What I love about these beef short ribs is that you pop them all in a slow cooker and come back a few hours later to tender beef ribs full of flavour.
The sauce is amazing! It’s rich and thick, and you only need a few ingredients to make it. Now, I’ll let you in on a little secret, it’s also the same recipe base for my lamb shanks. That’s how much I love it!
- olive oil
- beef short ribs
- salt & pepper
- brown onion
- tin diced tomatoes
- tomato paste
- celery stalks
- beef stock
- bay leaves
- optional - sprigs of thyme
See the recipe card below for quantities.
The trick when making these slow cooker beef short ribs is to cut the vegetables up quite small! You don't want big chunks of vegetables in the sauce at the end but want all that flavour of the vegetables.
salt and pepper the ribs and roll in plain flour. Add oil to a frypan on a medium high heat. Fry the short ribs in the oil on each side until they are browned well. You can skip this step and add them directly to the slow cooker, but it adds to the flavour of the beef ribs.
Add finely chopped vegetables, tin tomato, tomato paste, beef stock and optional herbs to the slow cooker on high. Mix together and add the beef short ribs and cover with the liquid.
Slow cook the ribs in the slow cooker for at least 5 hours on high and 8 hours on medium. Time will depend on your slow cooker. You will know when the meat is falling away from the bone that they are ready.
Remove ribs from slow cooker and set aside. Optional step - If you don't want a chunky sauce, blitz it using a food processor or stick blender to remove all the little chunks of vegetables at the end.
Serve over mashed potatoes with a side salad or roast vegetables with some extra sauce spooned on the top of the ribs.
NEW BLOG POSTS
Don't miss a thing! Check out the new blog posts.
Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs
- 800 - 1kg grams/kg beef short ribs
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 carrots finely diced
- 1 celery stalk finely diced
- 1 tin diced tomatoes
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 bay leaves you will remove these at the end
- 2 springs of thyme optional
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Season the beef short ribs with salt and pepper and roll in the plain flour.
- Fry the short ribs in the hot oil on each side until they are well-browned. This step adds flavour, but it can be skipped if desired.
- In a slow cooker set to high heat, add the finely chopped vegetables, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, beef stock, bay leaves and optional herbs. Mix them together.
- Place the browned beef short ribs in the slow cooker, ensuring they are covered with the liquid.
- Cover the slow cooker with its lid and cook for at least 5 hours on high heat or 8 hours on low heat. The exact cooking time may vary depending on your slow cooker. Cook until the meat is tender and falling away from the bone.
- Once the beef short ribs are cooked, carefully remove them from the slow cooker and set them aside.
- If desired, blitz the sauce using a stick blender or food processor to remove any chunky pieces of vegetables. I don't mind a chunky sauce, so I skip this step.
- Serve the beef short ribs topped with the sauce over mashed potatoes and enjoy!
The nutritional information provided is computer generated and is only an estimate. This data is provided as a courtesy for informational purposes only.