This is the best creamy potato bake recipe ever! It's super easy to make using just a few ingredients, and for the flavouring, you use a soup mix packet. The french onion soup mix creates the best creamy potato bake with just the right amount of flavour.
When I say easy creamy potato bake, I mean super easy! The only flavouring you're using is a french onion soup mix which I get from Woolies for just 40c.
I have been making this potato bake using the soup mix for over 20 years, and it turns out fantastic every single time. It's my "go-to" to take when I have been asked to bring a plate, and we all know potato bake is a must-have side to any BBQ.
You only need 6 main ingredients to make my potato bake (plus salt & pepper).
- potatoes (I used washed with skin on)
- thickened cream
- diced bacon
- brown onion
- french onion soup mix
- salt & pepper
- grated cheese
See the recipe card for quantities.
I have cut the potatoes thin and left the skin on, but you could use any type of potatoes and remove the skin if you like. Brushed potatoes work best for potato bake and help create creaminess to the bake.
Place a layer of thinly sliced potato on the bottom of the baking tray.
Add a layer of diced bacon and onion.
Add a layer of the cream mix (cream and soup mix) and continue to layer the potato, bacon and onion until you have no potato left.
Top with cheese, cover in foil and bake in the oven for around 1 hour and 50 minutes. In the last 20 minutes, remove the foil so the cheese melts.
Hint: Cover the potatoes with foil while baking to stop them from drying out or burning in the oven. In the last 20 minutes of cooking, remove the foil and allow the cheese to brown slightly.
The easiest way to cut the potatoes!
Cut a thin slice off the side of the potato and flip it over to use as your base. This will allow the potato to sit flat on your cutting board and make it much easier and safer to cut each slice. Don't cut them too thick, or it will add to the cooking time.
Looking for other BBQ sides? Check out my favourites below!
Creamy Potato Bake
- baking dish
- 6/8 large potatoes You can peel or leave the skin on if they are washed
- 250 grams bacon diced
- 1 brown onion diced
- 600 mls thicken cream
- 1 packet french onion soup mix I use the Homebrand one for 40c
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt & pepper
- Preheat fan-forced oven to 180°c
- Mix the cream, soup mix, salt and pepper in a bowl and set aside.
- Wash, peel and slice potatoes thinly.
- Place a layer of the sliced potatoes on the bottom of the baking dish until the bottom is covered.
- Add a layer of the onion, diced bacon and pour over some of the cream mix.
- Continue the layering process of the potatoes, onion, bacon and cream mix until you have used all of the potatoes and mix.
- Top with grated cheese and cover with foil.
- Place in the oven and bake for around 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and take off the foil. Place back in the oven for another 20 minutes for the cheese to brown.
The nutritional information provided is computer generated and is only an estimate. This data is provided as a courtesy for informational purposes only.