This Nutella Swirl Banana Bread is one of my favourites and I have to warn you, stopping at one slice is hard.
Tips when baking banana bread
- Buttermilk is a must to help the bread rise.
- Banana bread is best made with overripe bananas. I like to buy a bunch when they are on sale, wait until they are overripe and freeze them in zip lock bags.
- Don’t overmix the bread batter.
- Banana bread takes a little while to bake, so you need to watch it and make sure the top doesn’t burn. If you notice the top starting to overcook or burn, simply cover it with foil.
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 150 g melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 mashed bananas
- 1/2 cup Nutella – 1 cup depending on how much you love the stuff.
- Preheat oven to 180°c. Lightly grease a loaf tin and line with baking paper.
- Mix flour and sugar in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk buttermilk, butter, eggs and bananas in a bowl and add to flour mix. Mix until combined.
- Spoon bread mix into the loaf tin and with each layer swirl through some Nutella with a knife.
- Bake for around 1 hour or until the skewer comes out clean.
- Once cooled, you can add some Nutella to the top of the banana bread.