Ok, if you know me or follow me on social media, you would know that Mexican food is my all-time FAVOURITE food. I’m obsessed and can’t get enough of it! It doesn’t mean that the rest of my family join me in my obsession though, and I’ve served it up so much that they get sick of it. I could stop making Mexican inspired foods or get creative and start serving them in different ways, so now my new love is burrito rice bowls.
They are super easy to make, and you can use what you have on hand in the fridge. I use the same toppings as I would use for tacos and pop them on top of the rice.
How to get the perfect rice
The key is to use basmati rice add some butter to the water when you cook it. It adds the perfect flavour and helps with “fluffing” up the rice. You can add some chopped coriander to the rice if you like it. I know you either like coriander or hate it, and there’s no in-between. I chop it separately and add it to the adult’s rice because my kids refuse to eat it.
My favourite way to cook the chicken
Firstly, I bang out the chicken breasts to make them a bit thinner, and it allows the chicken breasts to cook evenly and quicker. I prefer to cook the breasts whole and dice them once cooked for more juicy chicken pieces. I’ve tried a few different ways to cook the chicken for the burrito bowl, and my favourite way is using the lemon and herb Nando’s rub flavoured seasoning you can get from Woolworths. I spray the chicken with oil, add the Nando’s rub and grill them on the BBQ. The rub caramelises and adds just the right amount of flavour. It’s mild too, which makes it perfect for the children. You could also use taco seasoning to season the chicken.
What you will need to create a burrito bowl
- Cooked rice – I use basmati rice with some butter
- Sour cream
CHICKEN AND RICE BURRITO BOWL
- Basmati rice Butter for cooking process
- Sour cream
- Cook rice as per instructions on the packet. Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the water when cooking the rice for extra flavour.
- Level out the chicken by banging it out. This will help with the cooking process with the chicken breasts being thinner and even sizes.
- Spray the chicken breasts with some oil and coat chicken in flavouring.
- Cook chicken and slice/dice the chicken into pieces.
- Prepare toppings and serve!