If you want to know how to make homemade sushi the easy way, this is the post for you! It's super easy to make and also budget friendly. You can make a huge batch with 1 packet of nori (seaweed) and a batch of rice. I purchased everything that I needed to make this homemade sushi from Woolworths, including the sushi mat and they also have a sushi kit that includes everything you might need to make your homemade sushi rolls.
What you'll need
- Nori sheets (aka seaweed)
- Sushi rice
- Sushi seasoning
- Caster sugar
- Sushi mat (you can get this from Woolworths)
- Kewpie mayo
- Tuna (I mix ¼ cup of kewpie mayo in with the tuna for flavour and to hold it together)
- Crumbed chicken (I cook this in the air fryer and slice it)
- Soy sauce
- Cook sushi rice as per instructions on the packet. I cook mine in the Thermomix using 400 grams sushi rice and 1L of water. Cook on varoma for 20 minutes. Allow rice to cool slightly. I prefer to make my sushi rolls with warm rice as it sticks better and is easier to roll.
- Mix together 1 - 2 tablespoons of sushi seasoning with 2 teaspoons of caster sugar until sugar dissolves. Add to the sushi rice and mix well.
- Lay the “sushi seaweed” on a sushi mat shiny side down. A big tip is to cover the mat in Glad Wrap to make it easier to roll and stay clean.
- Grab a small bowl of water to dip your fingers or spoon in to handle the rice which will stop it from sticking.
- Using a tablespoon dipped in the water, press down rice on the seaweed around 1 cm thick using the back of the spoon and spread it out evenly. Make sure you leave 2 cm on one end to seal it once rolled. You don’t want the rice/filling too thick or it will be hard to roll. (I’ve added a photo to show how thick I make it).
- Add your fillings (I’ll add some filling ideas below)
- Start rolling the sushi mat slowly keeping your hands on each end and holding it firmly. Continue to roll holding it firm until the end.
- Place sushi with the sealed side down and cut to the desired size or you could just cut in half for a hand roll.
Tuna Filling Recipe - I use a large tin of tuna in spring water with ¼ cup of Kewpie mayo, and a good seasoning of salt/pepper (it’s really good as a sandwich filling too).
Crispy Chicken - I cook it in the air fryer for 10 minutes and slice it in strips.
Cucumber - Add a dash of mayo prior to rolling for some extra flavour.
Avocado - A great veg option.
Let me know if you have any questions and I will happily answer them!