How cute are these Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes with a buttercream swirl? Not only do they look incredibly cute but they taste amazing too! You bite into the crispy cone, filled with fluffy vanilla cake, topped with creamy buttercream and sprinkles. It doesn’t get much better than that! They are perfect for birthday parties, a special treat for kids or a sneaky sweet treat for you.
I used my basic vanilla cupcake recipe to fill them, or you can use a packet cake mix if you like. No need for special trays to bake them, I just use a flat baking tray and be careful not to tip them when placing them in the oven. For my full buttercream recipe and tips check out Vanilla Buttercream Icing Recipe.
- 12 ice cream cones, flat bottom
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup milk
Vanilla Buttercream Icing
- 5 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 160ºc and sit ice cream cones on a flat baking tray.
- Using an electric mixing, cream together butter and sugar on medium speed, until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract, and eggs. Mix until combined.
- Add flour and milk, mix on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Using an ice cream scoop or spoon the mixture evenly into the ice cream cones filling them 3/4 of the way full.
- Place in oven and bake for around 10-15 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool before icing.
- Using the whisk attachment on your stand mixer, whip the butter on medium – high speed for around 4 minutes. You want to beat the butter until it is pale and light.
- Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the icing sugar.
- Increase the speed to medium – high, add the vanilla extract and food colouring, continue to mix for around 2 minutes until the mix is light and fluffy.
- Using a piping bag and large star shaped nozzle, spoon the mixture into the piping bag and pipe a swirl on the top of the cones.