This Greek Lemon Rice goes perfectly with roast chicken, greek chicken skewers or my greek rice bowls as a side dish. Oh, and did I mention that it’s super easy to make and full of flavour with the garlic, lemon and onion added to the rice!
Cooked basmati rice is my absolute favourite side dish! It’s light and fluffy and cooks perfectly every time! We like to have these Chicken and Rice Burrito bowls once a week, so to mix things up, I thought I would put a Greek spin on them and make Greek Chicken and Rice Bowls with naan bread on the side.
You will find all the ingredients used to make the Greek flavoured basmati rice below!
- Basmati Rice
- Chicken Stock
- Brown Onion
- Salted Butter
- Minced garlic
- Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice
- Salt & Pepper
See the recipe card for quantities.
You can use a rice cooker or stovetop to make this greek inspired rice. If you want to use your Crock-Pot Express, follow the stovetop instructions, select rice and only cook for 6 minutes. I love using my crock pot express to make rice; it takes half the time to cook than the stovetop.
Using a saucepan on a medium heat, add oil and butter.
Add diced onion and minced garlic to the saucepan. Simmer for 2 minutes while stirring.
Once the onion has softened, add the rinsed rice.
Add rice and simmer for a further minute.
Add lemon juice, chicken stock, salt and pepper. Allow it to come to a simmer (the edges should be bubbling and rice foaming). Place on the lid, turn down to low and continue to cook for 12 minutes (do not remove the lid).
Remove from heat and allow to sit with the lid on for 5 minutes. Fluff up the rice with a fork and add chopped parsley. Serve with a slice of lemon.
- I have included stovetop instructions but you can use a rice cooker or crock pot express.
- Serve with a wedge or slice of lemon for some extra flavour!
- Store rice in an airtight container for 3 days.
- Serve in my Greek Rice Bowls which is now my current favourite dinner recipe at the moment.
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 3 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Brown Onion Diced
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1/4 cup Fresh Chopped Parsley
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Rinse rice until water runs clear.
- Using a saucepan on a medium heat, add oil and butter.
- Add diced onion and minced garlic to the saucepan. Simmer for 2 minutes while stirring.
- Add rice and simmer for a further minute.
- Add lemon juice, chicken stock salt and pepper.
- Allow it to come to a simmer (the edges should be bubbling and rice foaming)
- Place on the lid, turn down to low and continue to cook for 12 minutes (do not remove the lid).
- Remove from heat and allow to sit with the lid on for 5 minutes.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork and add chopped parsley.
- Serve with a slice of lemon.