Let me tell you, I absolutely LOVE cruising with my family! My family and I were recently invited by Royal Caribbean to sail on an incredible 7-night cruise adventure aboard the magnificent Quantum of the Seas, departing from our hometown of Brisbane. The moment we stepped onboard, the holiday magic started, and I couldn't be happier knowing that I wouldn't have to cook, clean, or lift a finger throughout the cruise. It's honestly my kind of holiday!
What's included in the cruise fare price onboard Royal Caribbean Australian Cruises?
Now, let's dive into all the fantastic things included in the cruise fare price. First and foremost, food! You can eat as much delicious food as your heart desires. Want five desserts? Go for it! The options are endless, and you have the freedom to order just the way you like it.
- Food - Order as much as you like and how you like. If you want five desserts, go for it!
- Drinks - Water, Coffee, tea, juice (alcohol and speciality coffee are extra, but you can purchase packages)
- Room - Your stateroom is included in your fare price.
- Snacks - Complimentary snacks such as sandwiches, pastries, cookies, and cakes are available from a few outlets.
- Activities - Most activities are included in your fare price, with options to pay for specific time slots.
- Shows - All shows on board are included in your fare price.
- Kids Club - This is the BEST part! Kids clubs are included in the fare cruise price, including a range of activities booked via the kids club.
My family of 5 booked 2 x balcony cabins, one for the kids and one for the adults. If you have a family of 4 or more, you can even book an adjoining room so you have an internal door connecting both spaces. While you pay per person on a cruise, booking two rooms isn't always more expensive. Trust me, it's worth it for the extra comfort. The rooms are cozy, and the bathrooms may be a bit small, so having ample space is key for a big family.
Let's talk about the fantastic food options onboard. Prepare yourself to come back a few kilograms heavier. The Quantum of the Seas offers a great selection of dining choices, including some truly amazing specialty restaurants you can't miss.
Included in your fare options:
- Main Dining Room: The main dining room serves up appetizers, soups, salads, entrees, and desserts. The menu features a mix of international flavours, regional specialties, and classic favourites.
- Windjammer Marketplace: The Windjammer Marketplace is the ship's buffet-style restaurant, offering a selection of cuisines from around the world. You'll find various options, including hot and cold dishes, salads, fruits, desserts, and more. It's an excellent choice for casual dining, with plenty of variety to suit different tastes. We mainly ate here as we liked the flexible eating times and choices for some fussy kids( hello chicken nuggets and hot dogs).
- Café Promenade and CafeTwo 70: Both are cafés that serve complimentary snacks and light bites. You can grab sandwiches, pastries, cookies, soups, salads, rolls and cakes to satisfy your cravings throughout the day. Make sure you try the salads at CafeTwo 70.
- Dog House: The Dog House offers a range of options, including classic favourites like traditional hot dogs and bratwurst, as well as unique specialty sausages and vegetarian options. You can customize your hot dog with various condiments, sauces, and toppings.
- Sorrento's Pizza: You can find classic choices like Margherita, Pepperoni, and Cheese pizzas, as well as specialty options such as BBQ Chicken, Veggie, and Hawaiian. The pizzas are typically prepared traditionally with a thin crust and flavorful sauce.
Extra Cost Speciality Restaurants
- Wonderland: Wonderland is an imaginative and interactive restaurant that takes you through a world of whimsy and creativity. The menu features innovative and visually stunning dishes that will amaze you.
- Jamie's Italian: Created by celebrity chef Jamie Oliver, Jamie's Italian offers a rich and rustic Italian dining experience. The menu showcases authentic Italian flavours with a modern twist, including freshly made pasta, risotto, antipasti, and delicious desserts. This was one of our favourite restaurants and meals on board, so you don't want to miss this one.
- Chops Grille: Chops Grille is a classic steakhouse known for its top-quality cuts of beef, premium steaks, chops, and seafood.
- Izumi: Izumi brings the flavours of Japan to the Quantum of the Seas. This specialty venue offers a range of sushi, sashimi, and hot Asian dishes prepared with fresh ingredients.
- Chef's Table: The Chef's Table is a unique dining experience where you can enjoy a multi-course tasting menu specially curated by the ship's executive chef. This intimate setting allows you to interact with the culinary team and learn about the artistry behind each dish.
Oh, the activities! The Quantum of the Seas offers exciting activities to keep you entertained throughout your cruise. On port days, you can enjoy fantastic experiences like the NorthStar, iFly, and the flow rider—all included in your fare. Your kids will have a blast with the endless activities offered in the kids' club. There's something for everyone: bumper cars, laser tag, roller skating, rock climbing. And let's not forget the shows and entertainment options that will keep you entertained throughout the cruise. Boredom is not an option, and your kids will have a blast!
Here are some of the great activities you can enjoy onboard:
- North Star: Experience breathtaking 360-degree views from high above the ship in the North Star observation capsule. This is included in your fare, with paid spots available too.
- Ripcord by iFly: Defy gravity and experience the thrill of indoor skydiving at Ripcord by iFly. With the help of a trained instructor, you can soar and float in a controlled environment that simulates the sensation of freefall. This is included in your fare, with paid spots available too, but you must book.
- FlowRider: Try surfing or bodyboarding on the FlowRider, a surf simulator that generates a constant flow of waves. This is included in your fare, with paid spots available too, but you must book a spot.
- Bumper Cars: Enjoy a nostalgic ride on the bumper cars. This classic amusement park attraction is brought onboard the Quantum of the Seas. There is no need to book a spot for this activity, you just line up.
- SeaPlex: The SeaPlex is a versatile indoor activity space offering various activities. You can enjoy roller skating, play basketball or soccer, try your hand at table tennis, or participate in multiple interactive games and competitions. My kids spent a lot of time in the SeaPlex. Make sure you book activities in advance.
- Rock Climbing Wall: Challenge yourself on the rock climbing wall, where you can test your climbing skills and conquer new heights. With different difficulty levels, it's suitable for both beginners and experienced climbers. There is no need to book a spot for this activity, you just line up.
- Casino Royale: Try your luck at the Casino Royale, where you can play a variety of games such as blackjack, poker, roulette, and slot machines. It's a lively and entertaining venue for those who enjoy a bit of excitement and gaming.
- Shows and Entertainment: Prepare to be dazzled by world-class entertainment onboard the Quantum of the Seas. Enjoy Broadway-style productions, live music performances, comedy shows, and various themed events and parties.
- Adventure Ocean: The Adventure Ocean Program offers a wide range of age-specific activities and programming for children of all ages, from interactive games and arts and crafts to themed parties and educational activities.
Speaking of kids, the kids club is a lifesaver! You can have some much-needed adult while the staff take care of your little ones.
The kids' club on board the Quantum of the Seas is a fantastic feature included in your cruise fare. It provides a fun and engaging environment where children can have a great time while making new friends and participating in age-appropriate activities. Here are some details about the kids' club:
- Age Groups: The kids' club typically divides children into different age groups to ensure age-appropriate activities and supervision. The specific age groups may vary, but they often include categories such as "Aquanauts" for 3 to 5-year-olds, "Explorers" for 6 to 8-year-olds, and "Voyagers" for 9 to 11-year-olds.
- Activities: The kids' club offers various activities designed to entertain and engage children. These may include arts and crafts, interactive games, scavenger hunts, themed parties, sports activities, movies, and more. The activities are led by trained and enthusiastic youth staff members who ensure a safe and enjoyable childhood experience.
Overall, the kids' club on the Quantum of the Seas offers a fantastic opportunity for children to have a memorable and enjoyable experience during the cruise while also providing parents with peace of mind and the chance to relax and enjoy their holiday.
On the Quantum of the Seas, Royal Caribbean offers various alcohol packages. While specific package offerings and pricing may be subject to change, here are some general details about alcohol packages:
- Deluxe Beverage Package: The Deluxe Beverage Package is one of the most comprehensive packages available. It includes a wide selection of alcoholic beverages, such as beer, wine, cocktails, spirits, and liqueurs. It also covers non-alcoholic drinks like specialty coffees, teas, bottled water, and fountain sodas. The package lets you enjoy unlimited drinks throughout your cruise without worrying about individual charges.
- Refreshment Package: The refreshment Package is a more limited option than the Deluxe Beverage Package. It includes soft drinks, non-alcoholic cockatiels, still and sparkling water, premium coffee, teas, and freshly squeezed juices.
- Soft Drink Package: For those who prefer non-alcoholic beverages, Royal Caribbean offers a Soft Drink Package. This package includes unlimited fountain soft drinks and refills at various venues onboard.
You can view the drink package inclusions (including alcohol brands) here on the Royal Caribbean Website.
What to pack
Packing for a cruise can vary depending on the destination, duration, and personal preferences. However, here is a general packing list to help you prepare for your cruise:
- Casual attire: Comfortable clothes for daytime activities, such as shorts, T-shirts, sundresses, and swimwear.
- Evening wear: Depending on the cruise line and itinerary, you may need formal attire (e.g., dresses, suits) for formal nights or semi-formal attire (e.g., dress pants, blouses) for other evenings.
- Light layers: Bring a light jacket, cardigan, or shawl for cooler evenings or air-conditioned areas.
- Activewear: If you plan to use the onboard fitness centre, pack workout clothes and athletic shoes.
- Comfortable walking shoes: Include sneakers or closed-toe shoes for shore excursions and ship exploration.
- Specialty attire: Pack any specific clothing required for theme nights, parties, or activities onboard.
- Swimwear accessories: Don't forget sunscreen, a beach towel, a hat, and sunglasses.
- Formal accessories: If formal nights are part of your cruise, bring appropriate accessories like ties, bowties, jewellery, and dress shoes.
- Day bag: Have a small backpack or tote bag to carry essentials during shore excursions.
Toiletries and Medications:
- Essential toiletries: Bring travel-sized toiletries like shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, and soap. Although most cruise ships provide basic toiletries, having your preferred products is good.
- Medications: Pack any necessary prescription medications, as well as over-the-counter remedies for common ailments (e.g., seasickness, headaches).
- First aid kit: Include band-aids, antiseptic ointment, pain relievers, and motion sickness remedies.
Documentation and Essentials:
- Passport/ID: Ensure you have valid identification, such as a passport or government-issued ID, and any necessary travel visas.
- Cruise documents: Carry your boarding pass, itinerary, and any pre-booked excursion confirmations.
- Cash and cards: Have some cash for trips off the ship, tips, and credit/debit cards for onboard expenses. Everything on board is in USD and will be charged back to your sail and sign card.
- Entertainment: Pack books, e-readers, or other forms of entertainment for relaxing moments onboard.
- Travel insurance: Always purchase travel insurance.
- Reusable water bottle: Stay hydrated by bringing a refillable water bottle for excursions and onboard activities.
- Laundry bag: I buy the large stripe bags from the cheap shop to separate dirty clothes from clean ones in a designated laundry bag.
- Ziplock bags: These can be useful for storing wet swimsuits, organizing small items, or keeping valuables protected.
Tips and Things You Should Know!
- Laundry - There is no self-service laundry on board the Quantum of the Seas, but they do offer a laundry service on board.
- Tender - If the ship is too large to dock at the port, they will use tenders (lifeboats) to take you in. On our cruise, they had free shuttle buses to take you into town (Airlie Beach and Cairns City). Many people didn't know this and booked tours, thinking it was the only option.
- Babysitting - Babysitting is available on board for an extra cost.
If you want to check out more of our adventures on board the Quantum of the Seas, head over to my Instagram highlights or tiktok account to see how much fun we had!