One of the foods I really wanted to try when we went on our USA adventure was a Philly Cheesesteak Sub and three weeks into our holiday, I finally had one at Johnny Rockets in LA. Gosh, it was so good and big! I also tried their chili cheese fries, shake and they were equally as good.
A year on, I STILL have cravings for a Philly cheesesteak, and although we have Johnny Rockets here in Brisbane (yay), they don’t have Philly cheesesteaks on the menu. Why? I don’t know, but I think It’s time I had a little chat with them.
Now, I tried to recreate this recipe as best as possible with what we have on hand in Australia. The steak I use is the sandwich steak. It’s thin and tender and cooks really fast! The cheese is “American cheese” or “Smokey Cheese” available at both Coles and Woolworths.
- 6 hot dog rolls – freshly baked ones are best
- 500g sizzle steak – cut into strips
- 2 capsicums red and green – sliced into strips
- 1 brown onion – sliced
- 6 slices of smokey cheese (you can get this from Woolies and Coles)
- salt & pepper
- foil to wrap subs in
- Fry off the sliced onion and capsicum in a large frypan on high for 6 minutes until browned.
- Add sliced beef along with salt and pepper and fry off for another 5 minutes until beef is cooked.
- Slice open hot dog rolls and add a slice of cheese to each and top with capsicum and beef.
- Roll in each sub in a piece of foil and bake in the oven at 180°c for 10 minutes.
- Serve straight away in foil!
If you make these yummy cheesesteaks, come back and let me know what you think of them!