We’ve all done it, right? Gone to the shop to buy something and forgot it, but you somehow end up with a trolley full of crap you didn’t even need. Today I did just this and forgot to buy sausages to put in the hot dog buns, so I had to find a replacement fast! There was no way I was dragging four kids back to the store to buy them, so meatballs it was! These easy meatball subs only take minutes to make and the kids will love them!
This recipe makes over 20 meatballs.
- 500 grams beef mince
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- 8 hot dog rolls
- cheese, grated
- jar of pasta sauce
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Mix all of the meatball ingredients in a bowl. Roll teaspoon-sized meatballs and place into a baking tray.
- Cover meatballs in the jar of sauce and bake in the oven for around 20 minutes or until cooked. Cooking time will depend on the size of the meatballs and oven. To check if the meatballs are ready, just break one in half and make sure it is cooked in the middle.
- Place cooked meatballs in sliced hot dog rolls, top with cheese and extra sauce from the tray.
- I like to place them back in the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese and toast the bun slightly.
- Serve with salad or vegetables.