When blueberries are on sale or in season, I make these muffins weekly. They are such a hit with my kids! Yes, they are both freezer and lunchbox friendly.The recipe is best made with fresh blueberries, but frozen work just fine too.
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
3/4 cup brown sugar, plus 1 tablespoon for muffin tops
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 170ºc and line a muffin tray with 10 muffin cases.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine oil, egg, milk and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Add wet mixture to the dry ingredients using a fork to combine. Fold in blueberries. Do not over mix!
- Divide batter between muffin cases and sprinkle tops with leftover brown sugar.
- Bake for around 15- 20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.