This post is a collaboration with Woolworths and Oh So Busy Mum
Let me start by saying I LOVE this time of year! Mainly because I can eat all my favourite foods all on the same day and it’s totally acceptable. Along with eating all the tasty food, I love planning everything for Christmas ahead of time. Each year, I host our family’s Christmas lunch on Boxing Day, and over the years of planning it, I’ve come up with a few ways to save money and stick to a budget, so I thought it would be the perfect time to share these with you.
My Budget Tips!
- Plan ahead! Write a list of all the meals you are planning on making. Woolworths has a free magazine called FRESH that is full of great Christmas recipes if you need some inspiration. Pinterest is another fantastic place to search for recipes.
- Check weekly specials in the weeks leading up to Christmas and buy as many non-perishable items when you can. It’s much easier to buy things over time (and cheaper on sale!) than a big bulk shop at the last minute.
- Buy frozen items each week when they are on special.
- Stock up on baking staples when on sale, like nuts, chocolate chips, condensed milk, custard and crackers.
- Don’t be afraid to use up all the leftovers in the days after Christmas. There are some great recipes online for using up the leftover ham. If you have a lot and don’t think you will eat it over the days following Christmas, freeze what you can.
- If you are hosting a family Christmas party, ask everyone to bring a plate of food. It’s a great idea to create a bulk email with a list of everyone attending and get them to add a food to bring to the list. This saves people from doubling up, and it also allows you to plan meals.
- Buy supermarket vouchers throughout the year to use on your Christmas shopping. Most gift cards have a year+ expiry, which makes them perfect to save up for Christmas time.
- Download my printable at the bottom of this post to help you plan out your Christmas meals.
I thought I’d give you a little sneak peek at what’s on my menu this year! It makes me hungry just typing it out! haha
- Fresh Prawns
- Frozen Rolled Roast Turkey
- Glazed Ham – I’ll be sharing this recipe in a blog post soon.
- Pre – Packaged Woolworths Mexican Style Salad Kit Mix
- Caesar Salad
- Woolworths Bake at Home Dinner Rolls
- Cobb loaf
- Devilled Eggs
- Woolworths Frozen Party Food
- Cheese, Meat and Dip Platter
Are you hosting a Christmas get-together this year? I have created this Christmas Meal Planner printable to help you plan out your Christmas meals.
DOWNLOAD YOUR CHRISTMAS MEAL PLANNER HERE!